September 30, 2009

Good Hair

Today I was watching Oprah. I usually don't watch Oprah, or any talk shows for that matter, but this one was about Chris Rock's movie Good Hair coming out October 9th. The show talked about the many issues black women have throughout their lifetime involving their hair and how much they actually spend on it. Solange Knowles made a guest appearance with her new TWA (Teeny Weeny Afro) explaining why she cut off all her hair. Some clips of the show will probably be on youtube sometime soon so I recommend that you watch them. Informative and hilarious.

Although I am not against relaxers, weaves, braids, and whatnot, I am going natural because I can. A lot of black females believe that growing out their natural hair is not an option due to the amount of effort they must put in to upkeep it. I am not going to lie. I just began transitioning and it is pretty hard but I get my encouragement from my expected end result--nice, healthy, thick hair that I can rock out with. I've done the relaxers that burned my head everytime I put one in in order to get my hair straight and easier to manage. I've done the weaves that tugged at my hair and broke it off, which I then covered up with more weaves that broke my hair off even more. I've done the braids that pulled my hairline back, which now makes me self-conscious to wear updos. It's kind of sad what we have to do to our hair to make it presentable to the world. Let's make going natural a desireable option!

Here is a movie trailer of Good Hair. I hope to see you in theaters!

No comments: