September 21, 2009

This Marks the Beginning

Welcome all! Thanks for coming and making me feel extra special =). My previous posts are kind of old but I am turning this into a new blog about my journey to natural hair. Yay!

My main motivation for going natural is sisterlocks. I will be getting, hopefully in a year or two, sisterlocks, so I have to grow out my relaxed ends (I don't think I can do the BC).

Well, I guess I should tell you a bit about my hair. My last relaxer was about six months ago (March 13, 2008) and I intend to go natural without microbraids for the next six months, maybe longer. I've been doing the microbraid look since elementary school (Oh, man! I remember those burnt end microbraids that made me feel like hot shit haha). I would do a sew-in once in a while but everytime I got one done my head would get really itchy. I told myself I would never get a sew-in again... and then do it again. I guess I don't live and learn.

When I was in college, I kept rocking microbraids until my senior year when I allowed my hair to breathe, finally after all my childhood and teenage years. I put several relaxers in after that and loved it. When summer came around after graduating college, I tried kinky twists. I hardly ever leave my hair out during the summer because the humidity sucks and I tend to go swimming a lot. I have a kinky twist tutorials on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuQWJ9MVmWw and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdi2NZBBWGc&feature=related). I like kinky twists but they became a hassle when my hair began to come out of the twists everytime I washed them Ah! I enjoy doing and washing my hair every week while blasting music in my home. Seems more like a fun activity than a chore.

Anyway, my hair is pretty thin but I've never really seen it completely natural. I am excited to embark on my journey to healthier hair!

So, every few days I will be blogging about my journey from relaxed hair, to natural hair, to sisterlocks, and all the bumps in the road on the way. Last Saturday (today is Monday), I did a straw set on my hair. It still looks pretty good. I will add photos to this post to let you see.

For people who are thinking about going natural and are looking for information, I will try my best to example everything I do and products I use.

For those of you who asked yourself, "what the hell is a BC," a BC stands for Big Chop. When your natural hair begins to grow, pushing your relaxed hair towards your ends, a lot of people cut off their relaxed hair leaving their new growth. After they do so, they either have an afro or really short hair. I don't think I can handle they BC because my hairline is pretty pushed back from braids and I need to cover it up with longer hair. Plus, but less importantly, I don't think I would look good with an afro.

Okay peeps. Let me go and take pictures of my straw set to post. Thanks again for reading my first hair blog. Feel free to comment questions, tips, and/or whatever. Stop by again... and again!

No comments: